By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for richardandtracy

Here is a list of all the postings richardandtracy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Stuart boiler flue
30/03/2017 15:30:51

On the flue for my cast iron wood burner the gap was more than 2mm. All plugged up with fire clay.

That's what happens full size, may not be considered 'good practice' for models though.

Regards,

Richard.

Thread: What tooling and collet should I get
30/03/2017 15:26:18

I have ER32 collets which I use on my lathe & milling head. I've ended up getting collet chucks with MT2, MT3 & MT4 ends so I can use the lot in my rotary table & drill press (MT2), lathe tailstock/milling head (MT3) and lathe headstock (MT4). Have a range from 6-20mm, bought one at a time when I needed them. On the mill, lathe tailstock & drill press I use the thing for tool holding, but every where else I use them for work holding. This is especially useful in the rotary table and on my little CNC where I have a Stevenson hexagonal collet chuck, to which I filed a number of slots so it could be clamped collet axis vertical.

So, don't get hung up on the fact the mill can only end mill 16mm diameter. There are many other uses for the same collets.

Having said that, you could go ER25 and if you need something bigger, get another collet chuck of the ER32 size. Get them direct from China/Hong Kong via E-bay & perfectly good ones are under £20.

Regards,

Richard

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
30/03/2017 08:25:11

Changed a blown up NVR switch on my Clarke 6x4 bandsaw. Got the NVR switch from Axminster Tools for less than I could have got it direct from China, and I didn't have to wait a month, having one just a mile up the road from my house.

While fitting the NVR switch, I took the opportunity to get rid of the irritating microswitches that check the covers are shut before it will work. The microswitches were so positioned that they got mangled every time I shut the covers and were close to failure themselves. Some over zealous applications of the Safety of Machinery Directive need to be relaxed. I agree with fitting the NVR switch, but how many people are protected by switches on covers? I'd suggest that only those who need to learn a bit of sense the hard way are protected from their own stupidity. One sharp, hard, lesson would benefit them for life.

Regards,

Richard.

Thread: Cost effective way for manufacturing a small plastic part
29/03/2017 10:18:21

2nd hand hand injection moulder & home made tooling, and sell the moulder afterwards? There is a Gingery book on it to give an idea, but the biggest problem is buying the material to be injected. Well nigh impossible on a small scale.

Hmm seem to be arguing against my own idea.

What value can you extract from each, and is there a possibility of future manufacture? May be more cost effective to pass on the job or let someone else have the agro.

As for the tolerance you are specifying, that's tight enough for a plastic to need to specify the temperature and material water content at which it's to be measured. Some types of Nylon can shrink by 10% when going from saturated to dry.

Regards,

Richard

Edited By richardandtracy on 29/03/2017 10:22:38

Thread: Etched engine maker's plate
27/03/2017 11:58:05

Simpler version of Mark Smith's method is to print on the paper here: **LINK** then iron on to work.

Regards,

Richard.

Thread: Something special coming in issue 253 of MEW
24/03/2017 17:13:47

Neil,

Just got my copy. Very interesting design. Thanks for doing this, very much appreciated.

Regards

Richard.

23/03/2017 13:11:19

Sam,

In some ways I absolutely agree with you. However, much of the character of old buildings is developed from a hodge-podge of modifications accreting over the centuries. None of the changes were done under the oversight of nanny, yet we still like them, as they add character & layers of history to the house. Just, for goodness sakes, trust people. OK, some people will be stupid, but there are a lot who won't be and really don't need nanny overseeing every last move they make. And with the stupid people, they will pay through the nose for their mistakes with lowered property value. As it is, you are treated as stupid regardless of whether you have proved that you are not.

It's the over- and un-necessary regulation that gets on my wick. It's as if some petty little tyrant with no financial, or any other interest, is simply showing how important they are by exercising their obnoxiousness.

There is a problem with architecture, though. How many modern architects are capable of designing a gracious Palladian pile? Or a soaring Victorian Gothic one? The 'Modernist' infection has got so deep into them that many actually like grey concrete (evidence: BBC2's 100k house 8 Mar 2017 where one of the presenters came out with this damning admission and wrecked any last dregs of credibility he had). How distorted are those values? It's unsurprising that many new houses are so poorly designed when you have a large number of professionals who actually like & admire the worlds most boring building material.

Regards,

Richard.

Thread: Tools you Treasure
23/03/2017 11:23:17

I have a few I'd not part with ever. Unfortunately I have no photos, but here's a description:

1. Great grandfather was a ship's engineer in the 1880's/90's & made his own taps & die plates as required on board. Unfortunately he made them using whatever gears were on the lathe at the time, so it's rare for any of the bolts I've inherited to fit anything 'normal'. Nonetheless I have a pot of bolts he made.
  2. My grandfather was MIA in France in 1940, and my grandmother got a 'Presumed Dead' telegram. What he was actually doing was taking his artillery troop at night to Cherberg with night time only movements because he though Dunkirk was a death trap and refused to go there when ordered. When doing stellar navigation to Cherberg he used a set of compasses & dividers I still have. These were then also used to plot firing angles & ranges in N. Africa & up Italy later on in the war.
  3. My 4" bench vice was given to me by my father. In regular use & is treasured.

Regards,

Richard.

Thread: Machining Aluminium Bronze
22/03/2017 09:34:04

I must admit I do not know the details of how to machine it as it's done by an external machine shop. We use about 50kg of AB2 castings in each of one type of container we do, and we've sold over 2000 of them.

Initially, until the machine shop found out how to machine it, they had huge difficulty. It's very dense & tough. I think they need to lubricate it (vaguely remember paraffin being mentioned but I may be wrong), and I think the feeds were a fair bit lower than steel. The problem is a moderately low yield, high elongation & moderate strength, leading to a heck of an energy input when cutting. AB2 doesn't chip well.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Regards,

Richard.

22/03/2017 09:14:53

Pero,

You are echoing some of my concerns about things like the National Trust & English Heritage.

One of the reasons so many of the NT & EH buildings are so interesting are the layers & layers of modifications to the buildings, seeing how they have changed and been adapted over the years. As soon as they get into NT/EH control all the changes stop. Dead. History is now irrelevant, it'll never change. And, sometimes, some of that history is ripped out to restore the building to a certain spurious date. The only non-spurious date for it is today.

Then there is also the problem with the listing of buildings. The building is stuck at the date it was listed. My father had a farm where the house was dated as being 1598 +/-10 when listed. The external description of the listing went into incredible detail, even down to the grey roundline PVC gutters. When they became so brittle they failed, he couldn't get grey again (have you noticed, gone completely). Anyway, he needed to get listed buildings consent to change the colour. WTF?!? And it was initially refused because 'it would materially affect the character of the building'. Who are these goons?

The listing is also preventing the proper maintenance of buildings. My wife goes to a local church where it dates back to 1346. The roof was last changed in 1784, and it's probably close to 100 years overdue a complete change. Anyway, every 5 years they have an 'MOT' for the building, which requires large areas of roof to be changed. Because it's listed the replacement roof tiles (which no-one can see from the ground, only the tower) must be hand made Kent Peg tiles. £2 for each tile & £0.60p for each hand made oak peg. If they could use machine made tiles (which externally look identical) with a built in hook, the tile costs £0.30p. In the last 10 years a congregation of 50 has paid for roof repairs costing £126,000, of which £50,000 was un-necessary costs due to the demand for hand made tiles. Had that £50000 been spent on replacement roof tiles instead, the whole roof would have been replaced by now and the building would have been set up for the next 100 years. As it is, 2/3 the roof still uses fragile, 200 year old tiles which need significant repairs & replacements every 5 years.

Regards,

Richard

Edited By richardandtracy on 22/03/2017 09:15:22

Thread: John Wilding 8 day Weight Driven Wall Clock
21/03/2017 14:56:10

Green Scotchbrite pads roughen the surface of aluminium & many plastics (so probably brass too) to almost the perfect roughness for most adhesives, including araldite, general epoxy, Loctite etc.. The 'adhesive ready' roughness is where more rubbing doesn't change the general look of the surface.

This I learnt playing with aircraft interiors for a living and maximising structural strength was considered to be of some slight interest... In the stress office we did tests on 12 samples each for 9 different easy workshop preparation methods. The green scotchbrite prepared samples were the strongest when doing lap shear tests between aluminium sheet using Redux 420 adhesive. The strength was just over 1900 psi B value (95% confidence that 90% of samples exceeded the strength). The weakest preparation method led to shear strengths down in the 600psi region. We also tried some samples using different adhesives and found a similar trend in strength, but did not do enough samples to be statistically useful.

Regards,

Richard.

Thread: Twin start threads
20/03/2017 13:44:42

The video in Bill's link is the way I do it. Done 2, 3 & 4 start threads that way. It's a lot more tedious when you have no half nut.

Regards,

Richard

Thread: Keyless chuck so tight can get hole way out
16/03/2017 15:53:44

Angle grinder? Not a hammer... crook

The other thought is a stilson or chain wrench, water pump pliars, mole grip, something where it grips hard and you do the twist.

Regards,

Richard

Thread: Alternative to PC based Cnc controllers
16/03/2017 08:34:03

Shaun, that looks spectacular.

And seriously uncomfortable for long journeys!

Regards,

Richard

Thread: Free books
15/03/2017 16:37:21

PM Sent

Richard.

Thread: Lidll
14/03/2017 15:29:10

I've recently been getting my drills from 'UK Drills'. Good price & reasonable drills.

The tip angle on the last set I got was a bit steep though, around the 100 degree mark not 118 degrees. Cuts well in steel, but due to the steep angle they snatch a bit too much in plastics and I've wasted a good few quids worth of pen blanks as the tip exits the blank, and snatches, shattering the blank.

**LINK**

BTW their 7 piece set £2.34 + post.

Regards,

Richard.

Thread: Alternative to PC based Cnc controllers
14/03/2017 08:20:41
Posted by John Stevenson on 14/03/2017 00:18:13:

...Richard, did you miss the bit where it's costs around £400 ?

Wouldn't want you to be financially embarrassed.

It's 8 months pocket money, four of which have already been put aside. Could have one this year provided I lay off the beer & cream eggs. Would honestly prefer to pay out for one of these than have to have a PC attached.

Regards,

Richard.

13/03/2017 16:01:55

6082-T6 would be plenty strong enough.

Regards,

Richard.

Thread: Nut & Bolt Sizes.
13/03/2017 14:58:24

A coarse thread is more likely to fit on another coarse thread if both have not been as well made as they could have been. So being a coarse thread makes stuff fit together better & quicker.

Coarse threads have bigger clearances, so use less metal, so the manufacturer pays for less metal & it's fractionally cheaper for the manufacturer. Not important unless making millions of fasteners.

The British & International standards state that the thread pitch may be omitted from the definition if coarse is used, else the pitch should be specified. People are basically lazy, so don't want to write it down if they can help it.

Regards,

Richard.

13/03/2017 13:53:05

Over the weekend I finished off the timberwork for my new lathe stand. It uses 4.5"x3.5" legs, 1.5 metres of M10 studding, 6"x2" supports under the top and is double planked on top. Top is 1200 x 595mm and easily takes the Clarke 430 that is destined for it. Masses of diagonal bracing. Total weight approx. 45kg. Cost: £7.98, for the studding and about £3 for the screws. All timber rescued from pallets of various sizes. Now I need to make a tray from a piece of 18swg galvanized iron sheet I found in a skip some while back.

While I was at it, used the left over timber from the pallets I broke up to make a block of flats for 8 Sparrow pairs and attached it to the front eves of our house with 2 bits of 50x50x3mm angle. Been feeling guilty about the Sparrow nests after I blocked off their access to our eves because a rat got in through there over winter.

My 'dead' car battery powered electric screwdriver walked through putting in all the screws. As many of the screws in the stand were 4" long, the standard batteries would have died by screw 10 even when in perfect nick. The car battery was showing not the faintest sign of being used by at screw 100.

Regards,

Richard.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Exhibitions Ltd
Reeves 2000
TRANSWAVE Converters
Advertise With Us
Allendale Electronics
PaulTheCad
ChesterUK
Warco
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition